Who We Are
CISRO was created in the mid 1990’s as a conduit for communication among the member jurisdictions. For the most part, that mandate has continued throughout CISRO’s existence. CISRO has completed significant co-operative national projects:
- Development of the original Life Licence Qualification Program (LLQP), culminating with the program launch in 2003;
- In conjunction with the Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators (CCIR), development of the Canadian Insurance Regulators Disciplinary Actions (CIRDA) database, which launched on December 1, 2013 and centralized licensee disciplinary decision documents on a national level; and
- The implementation of a modernized LLQP in January 2016, which updated and harmonized the pre-licensing life education program across the country.
When it came time to complete its next strategic planning exercise after the latter two projects, it became apparent that CISRO members needed to first review the mandate of the organization – to confirm a future direction for CISRO. That exercise paved the way for the following evolutionary changes:
- In 2017, CISRO formally established an Executive Committee to help guide the operations of the organization.
- CISRO is currently piloting a Secretariat, hosted by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, to provide the necessary support to increase both the effectiveness and efficiency of our organization.
- In early 2018, CISRO agreed to collaborate with CCIR on projects that involve both insurers and intermediaries.